Birmingham Eggfest: Easy Grilled Bruschetta
Although our Jalapeno Poppers were the winning dish for Team Hashpound at the Birmingham Eggfest, our "Easy Grilled Bruschetta" flew off the serving plates too! And it's easy to see why - grilled bruschetta is a light, satisfying, and oh-so-summery appetizer or snack. We found bruschetta to be a little addictive; Brent and I have eaten some form of this dish about six times since the Eggfest!
Although this bruschetta recipe tastes best from the grill, you can use a toaster oven when you don't want to fire up your Egg or charcoal grill just for this dish.
Easy Grilled Bruschetta
French bread, sliced in rounds
Fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
Vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the Egg to 300 degrees F.
2. Butter the bread on both sides and place on grill. Flip when the bottom side is just barely toasted.
3. After flipping the bread once, top each round with a slice of mozzarella.
4. Place sliced tomatoes on a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and grill (with lid closed) for five minutes, or until just soft.
5. Remove bread with melted cheese and grilled tomatoes from the Egg.
6. Top each bread slice with a slice of grilled tomato and a basil leaf.
What's your favorite summer appetizer to cook on an Egg or regular grill?