Control Diabetes with a Healthy Diet
Enjoy a heapin' helpin' of a few great-tasting ways to help control diabetes.
There are 20.8 million children and adults in the United States (7% of the population) who have diabetes. Although the management approach and medications for diabetes vary depending on the type of diabetes, age, health status, and lifestyle factors, diet is always a key factor.
And the good news is that there are foods you can add to your diet that will help control diabetes. There's no reason to be deprived of the pleasure of great food–defy diabetes and eat well. For more information on diabetes, visit the Amercian Diabetes Association.
Go for Grains
Choose whole grain foods such as brown rice, barley, bulgur, and oats over processed grain products. It's easy with these hearty dishes.
Benefit from Beans
Eat fish 2 to 3 times a week to help your diabetes and your heart. Even canned fish counts.
- Cedar-Planked Grilled Salmon with Avocado-Orange Salsa
- Seared Mediterranean Tuna Steaks
- Vegetable Panzanella with Tuna
- Broiled Red Snapper with Sicilian Tomato Pesto
Choose non-fat and low-fat dairy products instead of the high-saturated fat versions. Make the most of milk, yogurt, and cheese with these calcium-rich recipes.
- Banana Cream Pie Smoothie
- Raita (Indian Yogurt and Cucumber Condiment)
- Leek and Potato Fritters with Lemon-Cumin Yogurt
- Creamy Pumpkin Soup
- Cheddar Cheese Sauce