Would replacing the gelatin with peach jello possibly work? If so it would take care of the rubbery part and add extra peach flavorRead More
I give it low marks. My goal was to use some fresh peaches that I purchased (even tho they were "in season" they were really expensive so I wanted to really showcase the peaches. I should have known better with this recipe because it only used 2 peaches (I had 4 to use). The egg mixture was WAY too rubbery because of the amount of gelatin; I didn't like that at all. And I don't see the need to use peach preserves; the filling should have been made with fresh peaches; using my expensive peach preserves in this recipe was a waste. Another problem with the recipe is that they say to freeze it for two hours but don't say how to store it -- should it be kept in the fridge after 2 hours or stay in the freezer??Not only would I not make this recipe again; I'm thinking about throwing out the pie after we've only eaten two slices of it because it tasted so rubbery. Not a winner at all. @Patricek09: I only needed to use two bowls (one for the whipping cream, one for the egg mixture), so that wasn't a problem for me.Read More
I have been "working my way through" the great pies in this issue of SL: loved the lemon, liked the Key Lime (but maybe I didn't have Key Limes that were as flavorful as my lemons had been). I made the Peach Divinity Icebox Pie. It's a bit bowl-needy for a summer recipe, not impossible, but I had a sinkful of bowls by the time I was ready to pour the filling into the delicious gingersnap crust. The crust is the best part (I used Trader Joe's gingersnaps). For the level of work (and BOWLS), my husband and I thought this was a ho-hum recipe. Not a throw-it-out kind, but not a make-it-again kind either, not unless I figured out a way to get a lot more peach flavor.
Also it sliced really nicely but seemed to have a mouthfeel of a bit too much gelatin, a little rubbery. I did add the step of straining my boiled water-gelatin mixture before adding it to the egg mixture, just to ensure no undissovled gelatin got in the final filling.
I'd love to hear anyone's ideas about punching up the flavor.