Meet Your New Favorite Fall Breakfast: The *Savory* Pumpkin Spice Pancake
Just because "cake" is a part of it's name doesn't mean you shouldn't take a pancake savory. In fact, you should definitely take a pancake savory. And to be clear, I'm not really talking about a short stack of fluffy buttermilk pancakes. (I mean, I will support you should you decide to pour gravy over yours, but I prefer to use mine as an excuse to eat dessert before 10 AM.)
I'm really talking more along the lines of the airy and delightful communal pancake, the Dutch baby. I argue for giving this pancake take a savory spin after having eaten this Savory Pumpkin Spice Dutch Baby.
That's right, pumpkin spice done savory--with chunks of bacon, peppery arugula, and a pile of Thyme-Roasted Onions. We went there, and let me tell you why:
- Because if a savory breakfast waffle is awesome, and a bowl of savory breakfast oatmeal is awesome, reason suggests that a savory breakfast pancake should likewise be awesome.
- Pumpkin spice needed a new directive anyway, it's starting to get on people's nerves. I feel like giving it a savory reinvention might help on that front.
- Plus, all of the toasty, comforting spices contained in the pumpkin spice blend (cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves) really shine when applied to savory scenarios. We ought not overlook that.
- Let us not forget, September is THE month to get on top of your breakfast for dinner game, and putting some vegetables on this thing makes it feel like a more viable dinner candidate.
- Adding savory toppings makes for a stunning presentation, with lots of bright color and texture, and makes this pancake feel like a slightly more substantial dish since you have protein and greenery on it.