Fiesta Super Bowl Party
Ah, the Super Bowl. In our house it's the first big party after New Year's and we're all ready to celebrate, eat great party food, and watch what we hope will be an exciting game.
We usually stick to Super Bowl recipes like stuffed potato skins, pigs in a blanket, and shrimp cocktail, but this year I thought it would be fun to set up a taco bar.
This setup is great for small to medium sized parties, and everyone can top their tacos with the exact fixings they like.
To keep things simple, I'll season chicken breasts and perhaps some flank steak with spices such as cumin and red pepper, cook them on our Foreman Grill, and serve them with a Chipotle Honey Dressing (recipes below).
For an easy twist on tacos, I'll can bake some tortillas in the oven to make tostadas, and saute onions and peppers for the fajita-loving folks.
Chipotle Honey Vinaigrette Dressing (makes 1 1/2 cups; from chipotlefan.com)
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup honey
2 Tablespoons Grey Poupon Dijon mustard
1 1/4 teaspoons ground chipotle pepper
1 teaspoon lime juice
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Combine all ingredients except oil in blender and blend on low speed for ten seconds. You can also combine these in a bowl and whisk together by hand.
2. Very slowly drizzle olive oil into blender on low speed. Or, if you're doing this in a bowl, slowly pour oil in while whisking briskly and constantly.
3. Chill for at least an hour; mix well before serving. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Tacos (about 16 small tacos)
One pound (4 pieces) of boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into strips
1 package of 6-inch corn tortillas
Ground cumin to taste
Red pepper to taste
Variety of shredded cheeses (Pepper Jack, Monterey Jack, etc.)
Chipotle Honey Vinaigrette
Optional: variety of salsas, sour cream, chopped onion, sauteed veggies (for fajitas)
1. Season the chicken strips with cumin and red pepper to your taste. You can always sprinkle a little more on after cooking.
2. Cook in a pan on med-high heat or on a grill pan for about 3 minutes each side.
3. Assemble tacos to your liking with the chicken, cheese, cilantro, avocado, Chipotle Honey Vinaigrette, etc.
What about you? Do you like to pick a theme for your Super Bowl party? We'd love to hear about your ideas!
More Latin-inspired recipes: