By contributor Carly Petrone
If you’ve got to feed a bunch of people this Easter Sunday, then you must try this Chicken Barcelona recipe! My mom always made this for Christmas Eve dinner, but I found myself requesting it constantly throughout the year as I was growing up. It’s made with everything from spices to fruit to salty green olives, giving it a unique flavor. Make sure you have time to marinade the chicken overnight but other than that, it’s only a few simple steps to a memorable and tasty meal. I promise your guests will want to go home with a doggie bag!
- 12 half chicken breasts, boned
- 1 head of garlic, peeled & minced
- 1/4 cup dried oregano
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup pitted prunes
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives
- 1/2 cup capers with a bit of juice
- 6 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, marinate chicken with garlic, oregano, pepper and coarse salt to taste, vinegar, olive oil, prunes, olives, capers and juice, and bay leaves.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange chicken in a single layer in a large, shallow baking pan, and spoon marinade over it evenly.
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with brown sugar, and pour white wine evenly around them. Bake 30-40 minutes, until breasts are done, basting frequently.
- Serve chicken, moistened with a few spoonfuls of pan juices, and prunes, olives and capers. Sprinkle with chopped coriander.