Crab Crack Party Menu
How To Pick a Crab
1. Remove the whole claws by twisting them away from the body. Guard them carefully, but do not eat them yet.
2. Turn the crab upside down, and pry off the apron (small piece on the abdomen).
3. Pry off carapace (top shell), and discard along with innards and gray, spongy gills.
3. Snap the crab body in half right down the middle, separating the two sets of legs.
4. Using the sharp end of one claw as a picking tool, prod the white meat out of the honeycomb-like framework of the crab's body.
5. Crack large leg pieces with a crab cracker, mallet, or kitchen shears (if shells are soft enough), and remove meat.
6. Crack claw pieces with a cracker or mallet and remove meat.