Why I Always Keep a Stash of Q-Tips In My Kitchen
Cotton swabs may not be considered an essential item in most home kitchens, but they sure are in mine. Don’t laugh—at least hear me out first.
It started because I was helping a friend cook. He was making waffles, a lot of waffles. Now, I love waffles. But I truly hate waffle irons. Why? Because they are impossible to clean. Before you remind me about the waffle irons with removable plates that can go in the dishwasher, I know they exist and I still don’t believe they get clean. There are too many nooks, crannies, and corners—and too much grease. So, after a particularly messy batch, we agreed that the waffle iron needed to be de-gunked. And his was not a removable-plate waffle iron. So it could not be submerged nor put in the dishwasher. We wiped, we sponged; nothing seemed to help. I took a break to go to the washroom, and there was the solution… on the counter by the sink. When I returned to the kitchen with a handful of Q-tips, my friend's look of confusion soon turned into a huge smile as he saw me Q-tipping my way through all of the angles and corners and dips. It worked. And I have kept Q-tips at the ready in my kitchen ever since.
Now you must realize, I am not a fan of cluttering the kitchen with things that have only one use. To prove worthy of a place in my kitchen, a tool needs to prove its versatility. And the Q-tip is no exception. They have come in remarkably handy in all sorts of situations:
- After scrubbing BBQ sauce off of my grill pan, there is always some that won’t go away. Q-tips!
- Can’t get the pureed whatever out from the inside of the food processor blade? Q-tips!
- Can’t quite get all of the decorative folds of your Bundt pan clean? Q-tips!
- Did some red wine dry in the bottom of a delicate crystal glass? Yep, Q-tips!The truly gross corners of your sheet pans? You guessed it! Break them on out.
- The bottom of your food processor bowl? Nothing works like a Q-tip!
- Does your Brita carafe need some sprucing up? Q-tips are here for you!
- Accidental flour spill on the computer you used for that online recipe? Grab the Q-tips!
And I imagine that there are a million and one uses I haven't figured out that you’ll tell me about. The point is, any tiny hidden corner you need to clean, give Q-tips a try. You’ll be really happy you did.