Simple Swaps: 7 Heart Healthy Dining Out Decisions
Today, we’re featuring the second episode of Cooking Light’s Simple Swaps video series. The series features delicious recipes as well as nutrition tips and ideas for meal planning. In today’s episode, executive chef and registered dietician Anna Bullet is discussing how to eat heart healthy when dining out.
Here are Anna’s 7 Heart Healthy Dining Out Decisions:
- Start your meal with a salad with the dressing on the side.
- Drink water with your meal. Staying hydrated can help you avoid overeating.
- Send the bread back to avoid the temptation of eating extra calories.
- Ask what kinds of fats menu items are cooked in. If your meal is prepared in animal fats, like butter, ask if it can be prepared in plant-based oils, instead.
- Substitute high-calorie sides with healthier options, such as steamed veggies or a baked potato.
- Because restaurant portions tend to be huge, split your meal with a dining companion or ask the waiter to pack half of your meal to go.
- If you’re at a major restaurant chain, pay attention to the calorie counts on the menu.