Foods Dogs Should Never Eat
We all laugh that our dogs should be named Hoover and call them over as our best kitchen sweepers, but there are some ingredients that dogs should never eat. Whether you're sharing leftovers or feeding from the table, keep these no-go dog ingredients in mind.
The ASPCA's rule of thumb is "the stronger it is, the more toxic it is." Onions may make you cry, but they can cause damage to dogs' red blood cells. If your dog ingests a large quantity of onions, contact your vet; the effects might not show up for several days but damage could be happening to your pet.
Similar to onions, garlic falls into the "strong is dangerous" category and also harms red blood cells. Keep this in mind if you frequently share Italian leftovers with your pup, as sauces tend to be loaded with garlic. Again, large quantities are usually required to cause damage, but it's best to steer clear of dangerous foods completely.
Keep your dog's kidneys happy by avoiding grapes and their dehydrated cousins, raisins. While some dogs show no ill effects after eating grapes or raisins, some will, and some will show a reaction when they had previously tolerated the ingredients just fine. Be safe and feed your dog something safe instead.
Do you know when dogs are most likely to injest chocolate? Around the holidays, when human-friendly treats abound and are often left on counters. The ASPCA's rule is that the darker the chocolate is, the more harmful it will be to the dog. Keep an eye on any candy, brownies, cookies, or cakes you may have at home; just because it's wrapped up doesn't mean that your pup can't get into it. Remember those shoes you had once?
Avocado is tricky ingredient because, while harmful to some animals, it appears to cause only a mild stomach upset in some dogs. In fact, avocado is sometimes included in pet food for its nutritional benefits. The pit, however, can obstruct an airway and cause difficulty breathing.
When dogs swallow raw dough, the yeast causes the bread to expand in the animal's stomach. While this can be a danger for the dog, the bigger danger lies in the yeast's production of alcohol. In extreme cases, dogs can become inebriated and should be monitored until they sober up.