Pairs well with a porch and Sunday night
Just like the song of the summer, every year there has to be a drink of the summer. Eight years ago it was Four Loko, but too many relationships and barbecues were ruined by it, so politicians got involved and forced them to remove the caffeine. In New York, we had phrosties a while back, but the Man put the kibosh on those too. Margaritas, Aperol spritzes, negronis, gin and tonics, shandies, rosé, frosé—they're all good standbys. They all make summer shine a little brighter, but they're so played out.
Summer 2018 is all about the Rosé Cuervo. What's in it? Dry rosé is added to what's essentially a margarita with a salt-rimmed glass. It's the summer-iest drink you can make. Sip a Rosé Cuervo on the porch with Carly Rae Jepsen coming out of your bluetooth speaker and an over-heated golden retriever lapping up water at your feet, and you're doing summer right.
Serves 1 (serving size: 6 ounces)
For the simple syrup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
For the citrus salted sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest (from 1 lime)
For the cocktail
- 3 ounces (6 tablespoons) dry rosé wine
- 2 tablspoons Simple Syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 1 lime)
- 1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) silver tequila (such as Jose Cuervo)
- Lemon and lime slice
1. Prepare the simple syrup: Combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan over medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar disolves, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
2. Prepare the citrus salted sugar: Stir together sugar, salt and citrus zests in a small shallow bowl.
3. Assemble the cocktail: rub a lemon wedge over rim of a tall rocks glass. Dip damp rim of the glass into Citrus Salted Sugar to coat rim. Fill glass with ice cubes. Add wine, simple syrup, citrus juices, and tequila; stir gently to combine. Add fresh lemon and lime slices to glass, if desired, and enjoy immediately.