Your favorite breakfast soup, quicker
Pho is one of those breakfasts that leaves you feeling cozy and full for hours following your meal. Annoyingly, it’s also one of those dishes that requires simmering stock for hours at a time to make it really good. You could make that stock all afternoon on a Sunday, sure, or you could make your pho in the Instant Pot (you know we love the Instant Pot).
Boil beef bones and chuck roast with shallots, ginger, and fish sauce, then give the stock a boost of flavor with coriander, black peppercorns, star anise, cloves, and a cinnamon stick. Pressure cook the stock for just half an hour, then ladle the hot liquid over rice noodles and sirloin steak. Garnish the bowl with bean sprouts, scallions and fresh herbs.
Instant Pot Pho
Yield: 6 servings Active Prep Time: 25 minutes Total Time: 50 minutes
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 ounces shallots, peeled and halved (about 1 cup)
1 (2-inch) piece ginger, peeled and halved lengthwise
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
3 whole star anise
3 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 1/2 pound beef bones
1 pound boneless chuck roast
8 cups beef broth
1/2 pound sirloin steak
1 (8-ounce) package rice noodles, cooked according to package directions
1 1/2 cup mint leaves
1 1/2 cup basil leaves
1 1/2 cup chopped scallions
1 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
3 cups fresh bean sprouts
Thinly sliced Thai (bird’s eye) chile, Sriracha, and hoisin sauce, for serving
1. Turn an Instant Pot onto the sauté setting. Add oil, shallots, and ginger, and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly charred, 1 to 2 minutes. Add coriander seeds, peppercorns, star anise, cloves, and cinnamon; cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in brown sugar, and cook, stirring often, until dissolved, about 1 minute. Stir in fish sauce.
2. Add beef bones, chuck roast, and broth; close and lock lid of cooker; turn valve to sealing position. Turn Instant Pot to HIGH PRESSURE, and cook 30 minutes.
3. Release steam and remaining pressure, and carefully remove lid. Strain broth through a fine wire-mesh strainer fitted with cheese cloth in a large bowl. Return broth to Instant Pot, and place valve on KEEP WARM. Skim fat, as needed. Slice chuck roast thinly against the grain; set aside. Discard beef bones.
4. Meanwhile, freeze sirloin steak for 10 minutes. Remove from freezer, and very thinly slice steak against the grain. Set aside.
5. Divide noodles and chuck roast between 6 bowls, and place steak on top of noodles. Ladle 1 1/3 cup hot broth over steak slices; top with mint, basil, scallions, cilantro, and bean sprouts. Garnish with chiles, Sriracha, and hoisin. Serve immediately.