Getty Images

Talk about a kitchen nightmare…  

Tim Nelson
August 06, 2018

Gordon Ramsay, a celebrity chef famous for calling someone an “idiot sandwich” recently had a kitchen (bar?) nightmare of his own to deal with.

The flames at Hell’s Kitchen, Ramsay’s new restaurant inside of Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas, were quite real late last week. That’s because two patrons found themselves caught up in a flaming cocktail mishap and ended up in the hospital with undisclosed injuries. Thankfully, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reports that no fires actually had to be put out.

According to the Review-Journal, the offending flammable cocktail was a Rum Donkey, which lists Cruzan Single Barrel Rum, falernum, brown sugar, ginger beer and torched passion fruit among its ingredients. Though these sorts of flammable beverages can be found pretty much anywhere that overproof alcohol like Bacardi 151 is served (usually without incident), Ramsay’s restaurant made the difficult choice to take it off their menu for the time being.

“Out of an abundance of caution, Hell’s Kitchen has removed the drink item at issue from the menu,” said a statement from Caesar’s Palace. “All of us here at Caesars Palace and the Gordon Ramsay Restaurant Group are concerned for the injured guests, and are hopeful for their speedy recovery.”

Obviously this was more of a freak accident than anything approaching an incident that Ramsay should have to answer for, but it’s perhaps a bit poetic that a chef with such a fiery reputation had his entree into the ostentatious Las Vegas dining scene go up (ever so slightly) in flames. You can hate on Guy Fieri’s restaurant all you want, but as far as I know, nothing on his food or drink menu ever burned anyone.  

You May Like