Grandma Markle's Apple Butter Toast Recipe Sounds Seriously Amazing
A flair for cooking must run in the family.
Meghan Markle shut down her blog, The Tig, in 2017. But that didn’t stop me from painstakingly scouring internet archives to find fall foods approved by the Duchess of Sussex herself. You’re welcome, world.
She shared dozens of autumnal recipes over the years, but none as cozy—or as personal—as Grandma Markle’s Apple Butter Toast.
WATCH: How to Make Roasted Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins
When Flare asked Meghan to share a spin on a breakfast recipe inspired by the trend of pajama dressing, she thought of this recipe from her grandmother, Doris Sanders Markle.
“Growing up in LA, I rarely saw my Grandma Markle, as she hailed from New Hampshire and spent much of her life in Pennsylvania and Florida,” Meghan wrote in 2015. “To bridge that gap, she would always send scrapbooks, care packages, and boxes of treats made from family recipes.”
She called this apple butter “one of her favorites” and “simple and satisfying.”
To update this family treasure, Meghan added whipped ricotta flecked with lemon zest and ginger a drizzle of crushed marcona almonds.
“For me, this recipe is a walk down memory lane—a reminder of holding my grandma’s hand and having sing-a-longs with her.”
Make Grandma Markle’s Apple Butter Toast at home for a comforting breakfast that’s fit for a royal:
- 3 lbs apples (about 10), peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 tsp ground cloves
- 1⁄8 tsp salt
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker. Toss to mix.
- Turn to high heat. Heat until bubbling. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 8 to 10 hours (perfect to do overnight).
- Remove lid; cook, uncovered, for an additional hour.
- Whisk until smooth. Makes 2 ¾ cups; leftovers will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for two weeks.
- 1⁄4 cup cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 cups ricotta cheese 2 tbsp whole milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- Generous pinches fleur de sel or Maldon salt
- Marcona almonds, for garnish
- Using a stand or electric mixer with whisk attachment, beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Add ricotta and milk. Beat over medium until fluffy (4 to 5 minutes).
- Stir in honey, zest, ginger and salt.
- Taste and drizzle with more honey, if you like. Makes 2 1/3 cups; leftovers will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for one week.
To prepare, smear Whipped Ricotta over slices of toasted seeded country bread, and then spread each slice with Apple Butter. Scatter with coarsely crushed Marcona almonds. Sprinkle with more fleur de sel, if you like.