My Potluck Party Contribution Is Always This One Food from Trader Joe's
For holiday parties, this is a go-to that always pleases.
It’s that time of year. My calendar fills as quickly as a cup under a dripping faucet. (Note to self: I need to hire a plumber STAT.)
Friendsgiving, holiday parties, football festivities—it’s all a bit much, especially when everything is BASTS. That’s Bring a Snack to Share, for the uninitiated.
I could spend time searching, hunting, and pecking through Pinterest lists for great appetizers, investing in a flat of cream cheese in the process. Or I could bring my staple potluck contribution to each party. I choose the latter because I’m busy, and because when something isn’t broken, don’t fix it.
WATCH: Pupsgiving Bloopers
I highly suggest this party snack for you, too, precisely because it’s so easy, and I never—I repeat, never—have leftovers to fret about when the gathering is winding down.
First, you’ll need to go to Trader Joe’s. You need to pick up three things:
- a box or two of Parmesan Pastry Pups
- a jar of Everything but the Bagel Sesame Seasoning Blend
- a jar of Spicy Brown Mustard—I’ve also used Aioli Garlic Mustard Sauce before, and I highly recommend it.
Now, you could heat and serve the Parmesan Pastry Pups and be done with your work. Yes, they’re glorified pigs in a blanket, but no one has ever complained about those. And I mean no one.
However, seeing as we’re clever cooks, we’re going to take a few steps to make the out-of-the-box apps truly special:
1. Cook Parmesan Pastry Pups according to package directions.
2. Pour two tablespoons of Everything but the Bagel Sesame Seasoning Blend into a small bowl.
3. As soon as the pups are removed from the oven, use tongs to pick up a pup. Roll it in the seasoning blend. Return to pan to cool, and repeat with remaining appetizers. Plate them on a platter for guests.
4. Before serving, sprinkle remaining seasoning blend over Pups. Serve with a Spicy Brown Mustard.
The Parmesan cheese on the pastry-wrapped sausages helps the seasoning blend stick, but the warm puff pastry easily picks up a healthy dose of the flavorful mix. The spicy mustard is a wonderful companion to the garlic-forward flavor of the seasoning blend and the fatty bite of each tiny cocktail sausage.
Stand back and watch the tray of snacks disappear.