Coca-Cola's Strangest Slogans Throughout History
I firmly believe that advertisements tell a country’s story better than almost anything else. That’s why, when I stumbled upon this list of Coca-Cola slogans the other day while researching an article about the company’s signature color, I was enthralled. You could literally teach an entire history class just using these taglines. Some are smart, some are sappy, but one thing’s for certain: American history, when viewed through the transparent green lens of a Coke bottle, is really, really weird.
I picked out a few of the absolute strangest slogans of all time to share with you:
1886 - Drink Coca-Cola and enjoy it.
Coca-Cola first arrived on the scene in 1886 with this vaguely threatening slogan.
1905 - Coca-Cola revives and sustains.
I suppose you could say that about any beverage that includes cocaine.
1906 - The great national temperance beverage.
This one’s bizarre, but it actually makes sense when you put it into perspective: Prohibition didn’t start until 1920, but the temperance movement (a social movement against the consumption of alcoholic beverages) was in full swing in 1906. If you can’t have a stiff drink, you might as well enjoy an ice cold Coke.
1939 - Whoever you are, Whatever you do, think of good ice cold Coca-Cola.
Listen up, whoever you are: You need to stop what you’re doing and think about Coke. Don’t worry about buying one—just think about it. Or else.
1941 - Coca-Cola is Coke!
1942 - The only thing like Coca-Cola is Coca-Cola itself.
Take that, Pepsi.
1948 - Where there's Coke there's an ice cold.
An ice cold what? This is not a sentence. We need more information.
1949 - Coca-Cola ... along the highway to anywhere.
Cue The Twilight Zone theme song.
1952 - What you want is a Coke.
Wait a minute. Oh my God. I do want a Coke. This is an example of an ad campaign gone right.
Here’s a complete list of every Coca-Cola slogan ever:
- 1886 - Drink Coca-Cola and enjoy it.
- 1905 - Coca-Cola revives and sustains.
- 1906 - The great national temperance beverage.
- 1908 - Good til the last drop.
- 1910 - Whenever you see an Arrow think of Coca-Cola3
- 1917 - Three million a day.
- 1922 - Thirst knows no season.
- 1923 - Enjoy life.
- 1924 - Refresh yourself.
- 1925 - Six million a day.
- 1926 - It had to be good to get where it is.
- 1927 - Pure as Sunlight.
- 1927 - Around the corner from anywhere.
- 1928 - Coca-Cola ... pure drink of natural flavors.
- 1929 - The pause that refreshes.
- 1932 - Ice-cold sunshine.
- 1937 - America's favorite moment.
- 1938 - The best friend thirst ever had.
- 1938 - Thirst asks nothing more.
- 1939 - Coca-Cola goes along.
- 1939 - Coca-Cola has the taste thirst goes for.
- 1939 - Whoever you are, Whatever you do, think of good ice cold Coca-Cola.
- 1941 - Coca-Cola is Coke!
- 1942 - The only thing like Coca-Cola is Coca-Cola itself.
- 1944 - How about a Coke?
- 1945 - Coke means Coca-Cola.
- 1945 - Passport to refreshment.
- 1947 - Coke knows no season.
- 1948 - Where there's Coke there's an ice cold.
- 1949 - Coca-Cola ... along the highway to anywhere.
- 1952 - What you want is a Coke.
- 1954 - For people on the go.
- 1956 - Coca-Cola ... makes good things taste better.
- 1957 - The sign of good taste.
- 1958 - The cold, crisp taste of Coke.
- 1959 - Coca-Cola refreshes you best.
- 1963 - Things go better with Coke.
- 1969 - It's the real thing.
- 1975 - Look up, America.
- 1976 - Coke adds life.
- 1979 - Have a Coke and a smile (see also Hey Kid, Catch!)
- 1980 - Coke is it!
- 1985 - America's real choice.
- 1986 - Red, white & you. (for Coca-Cola Classic)
- 1986 - Catch the wave. (for New Coke)
- 1987 - Can't beat the feeling!.
- 1990 - Can't Beat The Real Thing.
- 1993 - Always Coca-Cola.
- 1995 - Always and Only Coca-Cola (test marketed, secondary radio jingle).
- 1998 - Coca-Cola always the real thing! (UK)
- 1999 - Enjoy. (also used in the UK)
- 2001 - Life tastes good. (also used in the UK)
- 2003 - Real. (also used in the UK)
- 2005 - Make It Real. (also used in the UK)
- 2006 - The Coke Side of Life (also used in the UK)
- 2009 to 2015 - Open Happiness
- 2016 - Taste The Feeling