Control Diabetes with a Healthy Diet
Enjoy a heapin' helpin' of a few great-tasting ways to help control diabetes.
There are 20.8 million children and adults in the United States (7% of the population) who have diabetes. Although the management approach and medications for diabetes vary depending on the type of diabetes, age, health status, and lifestyle factors, diet is always a key factor.
And the good news is that there are foods you can add to your diet that will help control diabetes. There's no reason to be deprived of the pleasure of great food–defy diabetes and eat well. For more information on diabetes, visit the Amercian Diabetes Association.
Autumn Salad with Red Wine Vinaigrette / Cooking Light
Quinoa, Corn, and Tomato Salad with Chive-Infused Olive Oil / Cooking Light
Go for Grains
Choose whole grain foods such as brown rice, barley, bulgur, and oats over processed grain products. It's easy with these hearty dishes.
- Quinoa, Corn, and Tomato Salad with Chive-Infused Oil
- Barley Sausage Skillet
- Hearty Minestrone with Barley, Sage, and Beans
- Oatmeal with Apples, Hazelnuts, and Flaxseed
- Miso Chicken with Brown Rice
Mother's White Beans / Sunset
Cedar Plank-Grilled Salmon with Avocado-Orange Salsa / Cooking Light
Eat fish 2 to 3 times a week to help your diabetes and your heart. Even canned fish counts.
- Cedar-Planked Grilled Salmon with Avocado-Orange Salsa
- Seared Mediterranean Tuna Steaks
- Vegetable Panzanella with Tuna
- Broiled Red Snapper with Sicilian Tomato Pesto
Vanilla Honey-Nut Smoothie / Cooking Light
Choose non-fat and low-fat dairy products instead of the high-saturated fat versions. Make the most of milk, yogurt, and cheese with these calcium-rich recipes.
- Banana Cream Pie Smoothie
- Raita (Indian Yogurt and Cucumber Condiment)
- Leek and Potato Fritters with Lemon-Cumin Yogurt
- Creamy Pumpkin Soup
- Cheddar Cheese Sauce
Most Popular Recipes
- 1. Easy Peach Cobbler
- 2. Chicken-Broccoli Mac and Cheese with Bacon
- 3. Cavatappi with Bacon and Summer Vegetables
- 4. One-Pot Pasta with Tomato-Basil Sauce
- 5. Easy Refrigerator Pickles