This is a fantastic recipe - really interesting balance of flavors, and works well for brunch or dinner. I don't use the recommended pie crust, just make my own or use a frozen one, I don't add in the dry milk, and tend to use whatever cheese I have on hand. It's a little time-intensive, because you have to cook the veggies first, but its worth the extra effort.
Zucchini, Sweet Onion, and Red Pepper Tart
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 242
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 12.5g
- Carbohydrate: 28.9g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 84mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 466mg
- Calcium: 251mg
- 1 (10-inch) Greek Baking-Powder Piecrust
- Cooking spray
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup chopped Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 2 cups diced red bell pepper (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 cups chopped zucchini (about 1 pound)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded Gruyère or Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Press Greek Baking-Powder Piecrust into a 10-inch quiche dish coated with cooking spray. Combine eggs and egg whites in a medium bowl; beat well with a whisk. Brush 2 tablespoons egg mixture over crust, and set remaining egg mixture aside. Bake at 375° for 7 minutes; cool on a wire rack.
- Place a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat until hot. Add onion, bell pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; saute 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Add zucchini, garlic, and water; saute 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in thyme. Spoon zucchini mixture into prepared crust.
- Add milks and 1/4 teaspoon salt to remaining egg mixture in bowl; beat well. Pour egg mixture evenly over zucchini mixture; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This