Zucchini Scapece Salad
"Marinated zucchini serves as a tasty base for salad," AP. Recipe by Donatella Arpaia, a lawyer turned restauranteur and Food Network "Iron Chef" judge. The longer the zucchini marinates, the better it tastes. Winston-Salem Journal: September 21, 2011.
Marinate: 10 Minutes
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon(s) honey
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove(s) garlic, diced
- 2 tablespoon(s) toasted fennel seeds
- Salt and ground black pepper
- For the marinade:
- 3/4 cup(s) red-wine vinegar
- 3 large clove(s) garlic, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 30 fresh mint leaves, finely sliced
- For the zucchini:
- Olive oil, for frying
- 3 to 4 medium zucchini, sliced diagonally into 1/4-inch rounds
- 6 cup(s) arugula (preferably the smaller spicy variety known as rocket)
- 1/4 cup(s) ricotta salata
- 1. To prepare the dressing, in a small bowl whisk together the oil, honey, lemon zest and juice, garlic and fennel seeds. Season with salt and pepper, then set aside.
- 2. To prepare the marinade, in a small bowl combine the vinegar, garlic and ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Add the mint and set aside.
- 3. In a large skillet over medium-high, heat about ¼ inch of olive oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if necessary, slide the zucchini slices into the skillet in a single layer. Do not crowd the skillet. Fry, turning the slices often with a fork, for 7 minutes, or until golden and flecked with dark spots.
- 4. As the zucchini slices finish frying, transfer them to the marinade. Let the zucchini marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- 5. To assemble the salad, place the arugula in a large bowl. Remove the zucchini slices from the marinade and add to the arugula. Drizzle with the dressing, then toss gently. Top with shaved ricotta salata.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note