Oh how I loved this dish. Had some chicken, spinach and feta sausage that I had purchased at my local market. I had no idea what to do with it. Found this little gem of a recipe and even after I messed up and put 2 tbls of flour instead of 2 tsp of flour. I just added more chicken broth and in hindsight I'm thinking a little white wine would've worked as well. I will definitely be restocking my pantry with these items and making this one again.
Zucchini, Sausage, and Feta Casserole
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 284
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 8.6g
- Saturated fat: 4.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 16.9g
- Carbohydrate: 35.3g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 35mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 433mg
- Calcium: 160mg
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked ziti (short tube-shaped pasta)
- 8 ounces chicken sausage
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 5 cups thinly sliced zucchini (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 cups vertically sliced onion (about 1)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cook pasta in boiling water 5 minutes, omitting salt and fat; drain.
- Remove casings from sausage. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage to pan; cook until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove from pan. Heat oil in pan. Add zucchini, onion, salt, pepper, and garlic. Cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and zucchini begins to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Combine broth and flour in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add broth mixture to pan; cook 1 minute. Combine zucchini mixture, pasta, sausage, and feta cheese in a large bowl; toss well. Spoon pasta mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with mozzarella cheese. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This