This was really great, easy and fast. The zucchini added great texture. I served it with grilled chicken breasts with North African spice paste(epicurious.com) and vinegared cucumbers. Absolutely will make again!
Zucchini Ribbons with Saffron Couscous
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 169
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 3.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 5.9g
- Carbohydrate: 28.3g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 414mg
- Calcium: 34mg
- 4 zucchini (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion (about 1 small)
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrot (about 1 small)
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked couscous
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave zucchini into ribbons; set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan. Add onion and carrot; sauté 3 minutes. Add broth, 1/2 teaspoon salt, saffron, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous and peas. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Keep warm.
- Heat remaining 4 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini ribbons, and sauté 1 minute or until tender. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Serve over couscous mixture. Sprinkle evenly with cilantro.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables