This was really great, easy and fast. The zucchini added great texture. I served it with grilled chicken breasts with North African spice paste(epicurious.com) and vinegared cucumbers. Absolutely will make again!
Zucchini Ribbons with Saffron Couscous
This easy side combines common flavors of Morocco: saffron-enhanced couscous balanced with zucchini and carrots. Serve it with a tagine to soak up the sauce.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup couscous, 1/4 cup zucchini, and 3/4 teaspoon cilantro)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 169
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 3.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 5.9g
- Carbohydrate: 28.3g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 414mg
- Calcium: 34mg
- 4 zucchini (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion (about 1 small)
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrot (about 1 small)
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked couscous
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave zucchini into ribbons; set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan. Add onion and carrot; sauté 3 minutes. Add broth, 1/2 teaspoon salt, saffron, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous and peas. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Keep warm.
- Heat remaining 4 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini ribbons, and sauté 1 minute or until tender. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Serve over couscous mixture. Sprinkle evenly with cilantro.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables