Photo: Alex Farnum; Styling: Randy Mon
This tangy-sweet relish is good on a turkey sandwich or as a dip with crackers and hummus. Jars of relish also make ideal summery gifts.
Yield: Makes 7 half-pt. jars
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 47
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Protein: 2.1g
- Fat: 1.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrate: 7.2g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Sodium: 112mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 pounds zucchini, coarsely shredded
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1. Put onion in food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl. Wipe food processor clean, add bell pepper, and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- 2. Heat oil over medium heat in a wide 8-qt. pot. Add spices and cook, stirring frequently, until toasted and aromatic, about 3 minutes. Add onion and bell pepper, stirring to combine. Stir in sugar, vinegar, zucchini, salt, and 1/2 cup water and cook, covered, stirring often, until zucchini has softened and flavors have melded, about 20 minutes.
- 3. Fill 7 half-pt. jars and put lids on to seal. Relish keeps, chilled airtight, at least 2 weeks.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1/2 cup.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments