These were great and a nice change up from the usual zucchini recipes. I didn't have the mozzarella so I used Salsa Verde as the condiment for this. Very good. It's a keeper.
Zucchini Fritters with Herb-and-Mozzarella Salad
Squeezing the zucchini in paper towels helps remove excess water for a crisp, latke-like crust.
More From Southern Living
Total: 25 Minutes
- 1/2 cup finely crumbled cornbread
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons loosely packed lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 medium zucchini (about 1 1/2 lb.), coarsely shredded
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 (8-oz.) tub fresh small mozzarella cheese balls, drained
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped assorted fresh herbs (such as parsley, basil, and mint)
- 1. Stir together first 7 ingredients in a medium bowl. Place one-third of zucchini on two layers of paper towels, and squeeze out excess liquid. Repeat with remaining zucchini, discarding paper towels after each use.
- 2. Heat peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Stir together zucchini and cornbread mixture.
- 3. Drop 4 to 5 firmly packed 1/4 cupfuls zucchini mixture into hot oil; press lightly to flatten. Cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels. Repeat with remaining zucchini mixture.
- 4. Stir together olive oil and next 2 ingredients; toss with mozzarella and herbs. Top fritters with herb salad before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note