This is very good, but as some of the other reviewers noted, it is time consuming to put together (the actual cakes, the tomatos are easy). I roasted the tomatos for 40 min at 375 and omitted the goat cheese mixture. I did have some trouble keeping the cakes together but you can re-form them easier and they fry fine with an extra tsp of olive oil. The walnut quinoa cakes in May come together a bit easier than these and are just as tasty!
Zucchini-Farro Cakes with Herbed Goat Cheese and Slow-Roasted Tomatoes
More From Cooking Light
Total: 3 Hours, 10 Minutes
- Calories: 289
- Fat: 15.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 12g
- Carbohydrate: 33g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 463mg
- Calcium: 73mg
- 1 1/2 pounds grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (about 1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 cups cooked farro
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2.5 ounces goat cheese (at room temperature)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1. To prepare tomatoes, preheat oven to 250°.
- 2. Combine tomatoes, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl; toss to coat. Arrange tomatoes in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 250° for 3 hours or until very tender, stirring every hour.
- 3. To prepare cakes, combine zucchini and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a cheesecloth-lined bowl. Let stand 10 minutes. Gather edges of cheesecloth; squeeze zucchini in cloth until barely moist. Combine zucchini, 1/2 teaspoon salt, farro, and next 7 ingredients (through garlic) in a large bowl. Let stand 5 minutes. Shape mixture into 12 (3-inch) patties, about 3/4 inch thick.
- 4. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 4 patties; cook 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Repeat in two more batches with remaining oil and patties. Keep warm.
- 5. To prepare cheese, combine cheese and remaining ingredients in a small bowl, stirring until well combined.
- 6. Arrange 2 zucchini cakes on each of 6 plates. Top with 1 tablespoon cheese mixture and 1/4 cup tomatoes.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note