- 1 1/3 pounds zucchini, coarsely grated
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Dash of nutmeg
- Dash of ground red pepper
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 cups diced seeded peeled tomato
- Basil sprigs (optional)
- calories 111
- caloriesfromfat 32 %
- fat 3.9 g
- satfat 1.6 g
- monofat 1.3 g
- polyfat 0.5 g
- protein 9.1 g
- carbohydrate 10.7 g
- fiber 1.9 g
- cholesterol 110 mg
- iron 1.2 mg
- sodium 364 mg
- calcium 130 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°.
Spread zucchini on several layers of paper towels; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover with additional paper towels. Let stand 15 minutes, pressing occasionally until barely moist. Set aside.
Heat a saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add shallots, and cook 5 minutes or until soft, stirring often. Remove pan from heat.
Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and 1/3 cup milk, stirring with a whisk. Add 1 cup milk; stir with a whisk. Add milk mixture to pan; cook 3 minutes over medium heat or until thick, stirring constantly.
Place milk mixture, 1/2 teaspoon salt, chopped basil, and next 6 ingredients (chopped basil through egg whites) in a food processor or blender; process until well blended. Add cheese, and process until well blended. Add zucchini, and pulse until combined.
Divide zucchini mixture evenly among 8 (4-ounce) ramekins or custard cups coated with cooking spray. Place ramekins on a jelly roll pan; add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch. Bake at 350° 30 minutes or until puffed and brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove ramekins from pan; run a knife around edges. Invert custards onto plates. Top with tomato; garnish with basil sprigs, if desired.