Purely awesome, easily one of the best recipes I've ever made. The aioli has quite the garlic bite, but tamed by the creamy mayo and sweet bell pepper. The casserole is just one bowl of awesome, from the soft bread to the gooey cheese, to the savory tomatoes. Plus the zucchini makes you think it seem healthy :)
Zucchini Casserole with Red-Pepper Aioli
Casseroles are a delicious way to enjoy a number of fresh vegetables, and this zucchini version is no different. Layer your sliced veggies with mozzarella cheese in a casserole dish and serve with crusty Italian bread drizzled with a sweet, tangy, and creamy red-pepper aioli. Bellissimo!
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 397
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 12.5g
- Saturated fat: 6.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 23.6g
- Carbohydrate: 49.1g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 959mg
- Calcium: 487mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups sliced onion
- 6 (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut Italian bread (about 6 ounces), toasted
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 (15.75-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Red-Pepper Aioli
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut 2 bread slices into 1-inch cubes; set aside. Drain tomatoes in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup liquid; discard remaining liquid. Place tomatoes in a medium bowl. Stir in basil, thyme, pepper, and garlic.
- Place 1/2 cup onion in the bottom of a 3-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 2 bread slices, half of the remaining onion, half of the tomato mixture, half of the zucchini, and half of the cheese over onion in dish. Repeat layer; top with bread cubes. Pour 1/2 cup reserved tomato liquid and broth over casserole. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover casserole and bake an additional 25 minutes or until top begins to brown.
- Spoon 2 cups casserole into each of 4 shallow bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon Red-Pepper Aioli.
- Totals include Red-Pepper Aioli.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles