My casserole dish was 3 quarts but it had a 12 inch base so I only did one layer: caramelized onions, tomatoes with spices (I added fresh basil), zucchini, bread cubes, cheese. It worked out well because I only needed one pan. The aioli makes this an interesting dish. I roasted my own red peppers but bottled would be good too.
Zucchini Casserole with Red-Pepper Aioli
Casseroles are a delicious way to enjoy a number of fresh vegetables, and this zucchini version is no different. Layer your sliced veggies with mozzarella cheese in a casserole dish and serve with crusty Italian bread drizzled with a sweet, tangy, and creamy red-pepper aioli. Bellissimo!
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 397
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 12.5g
- Saturated fat: 6.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 23.6g
- Carbohydrate: 49.1g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 959mg
- Calcium: 487mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups sliced onion
- 6 (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut Italian bread (about 6 ounces), toasted
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 (15.75-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Red-Pepper Aioli
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut 2 bread slices into 1-inch cubes; set aside. Drain tomatoes in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup liquid; discard remaining liquid. Place tomatoes in a medium bowl. Stir in basil, thyme, pepper, and garlic.
- Place 1/2 cup onion in the bottom of a 3-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 2 bread slices, half of the remaining onion, half of the tomato mixture, half of the zucchini, and half of the cheese over onion in dish. Repeat layer; top with bread cubes. Pour 1/2 cup reserved tomato liquid and broth over casserole. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover casserole and bake an additional 25 minutes or until top begins to brown.
- Spoon 2 cups casserole into each of 4 shallow bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon Red-Pepper Aioli.
- Totals include Red-Pepper Aioli.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles