This is delicious! I did make a couple of changes halving the mushrooms (baby bellas) and adding about 3 ounces of dry-packed julienne sun-dried tomatoes. I also used half a pound of ziti as I thought it would be less dry with less pasta. Will certainly make again and would serve as a casual dinner for guests.
Ziti with Portobello Mushrooms, Caramelized Onions, and Goat Cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pound portobello mushrooms, stems removed, caps halved and then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound ziti
- 3 ounces soft goat cheese, such as Montrachet, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1. In a large frying pan, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter with 2 tablespoons of the oil over moderate heat. Add the onions, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and the sugar and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are well browned, about 20 minutes. Remove from the pan.
- 2. In the same pan, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter with 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderate heat. Add the mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and brown, about 8 minutes. Add the reserved onions, the parsley, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the pepper.
- 3. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the ziti until just done, about 13 minutes. Reserve 3/4 cup of the pasta water and drain. Toss the ziti and 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water with the mushroom mixture, the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, the goat cheese, and the Parmesan. If the pasta seems dry, add more of the reserved paster water. Serve with additional Parmesan.
- Wine Recommendation: While the mushrooms need a red wine, the goat cheese goes best with a wine that has plenty of acidity. A pinot noir from Oregon is an ideal choice for both.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes