- Giblets and neck from a 16- to 18-lb. turkey
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 2 large carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 4 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 3/4 cups Zinfandel, divided
- 2 strips (each 3 in.) orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooked apple mixture and fat-skimmed turkey pan juices from Wine-Smoked Turkey
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- calories 34
- caloriesfromfat 5 %
- protein 1.8 g
- fat 0.2 g
- satfat 0.0 g
- carbohydrate 6.1 g
- fiber 0.0 g
- sodium 163 mg
- cholesterol 3.8 mg
How to Make It
In a 5- to 6-qt. pan, combine giblets, neck, onions, carrots, celery, and 1/2 cup broth. Cook, covered, over medium-high heat, 20 minutes. Uncover; cook over high heat, stirring often as liquid evaporates, until giblets and vegetables are browned and browned bits stick to pan, 5 to 8 minutes. Add another 1/2 cup broth and stir to loosen browned bits. Cook and brown, uncovered, as before.
Add remaining 3 1/2 cups broth, 2 cups Zinfandel, the orange zest, and pepper to pan. Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Add apple mixture from cavity of Wine-Smoked Turkey; bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
Pour broth mixture through a fine strainer into a bowl. Discard contents of strainer. Measure broth; if needed, add enough turkey pan juices to make 5 1/2 cups. In pan, mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup water and remaining 3/4 cup wine. Stir in broth mixture and cook, stirring, over high heat until boiling, about 5 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1/3-cup serving.