I made this out of deer slices instead of a piece of beef. It turned out beautifully. The meat was excellent, the veggies with the sauce were a bit sweet to my taste, too. I will make this again, for sure.
Zinfandel-Braised Beef Brisket with Onions and Potatoes
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 342
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 9.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 27.2g
- Carbohydrate: 34.4g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Cholesterol: 70mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 619mg
- Calcium: 67mg
- 2 cups zinfandel or other fruity dry red wine
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 (2 1/2-pound) beef brisket, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- Cooking spray
- 8 cups sliced Walla Walla or other sweet onion (about 4 medium)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into (1/2-inch-thick) slices
- 2 celery stalks, cut into (1/2-inch-thick) slices
- 1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Combine first 3 ingredients, stirring with a whisk.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle beef with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add beef to pan; cook for 8 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove beef from pan; cover and set aside.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, onion, sugar, and 1 teaspoon thyme to pan. Cook 20 minutes or until onions are tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, carrots, and celery; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place beef on top of onion mixture; pour wine mixture over beef. Cover and place in oven.
- Bake at 325° for 1 3/4 hours.
- While beef mixture cooks, place potatoes in a large bowl. Add 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon thyme, oil, oregano, and red pepper; toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray.
- Remove beef from oven; turn beef over. Place potatoes on lower rack in oven. Cover beef; return to oven. Bake potatoes and beef at 325° for 45 minutes or until beef is tender. Remove beef from oven; cover and keep warm. Increase oven temperature to 425°. Place potatoes on middle rack in oven; bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until crisp and edges are browned.
- Remove beef from pan; cut across the grain into thin slices. Serve with onion mixture and potatoes. Sprinkle with parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This