Sara sometimes stirs in a handful of chopped fresh mint for added zest. Prep: 15 minutes, Stand: 30 minutes, Chill: 1 hour.
Yield: Makes 8 cups
- 1 cup uncooked bulgur wheat
- 2 cups hot water
- Zest of 3 lemons, divided
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- 1 bunch green onions, trimmed and chopped (white and light green parts only)
- 2 cups chopped fresh parsley
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1. Place bulgur wheat in a large bowl. Add water and one-third zest and juice; stir. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, and let stand 30 minutes or until water is absorbed. Pour into a wire-mesh strainer; drain, pressing out any excess water.
- 2. Combine remaining zest and juice, green onions, and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Add bulgur, and stir. Season with salt and pepper. Chill at least 1 hour.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note