For those who found the pie did not set, you have to be sure to used sweetened condensed milk and follow the recipe for filling exactly. For crust, I used 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/3 cup melted butter pressed into 10 inch pie plate and baked for 10 min. as directed. After it cooled, added filling and baked at 350 degrees for 17 minutes; the pie set perfectly and looked great. Made it the night before, but found that it tasted best 2 days later. This is a great make ahead dessert, as it tastes better after 2 to 3 days.
Zesty Lemon Pie
If you don't have a 9-inch deep dish, you can use a regular 10-inch pie plate instead. Prepare recipe, without whipped cream, up to 2 days ahead.
More From Southern Living
6 Hours, 20 Minutes
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 (14-oz.) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Garnishes: lemon slices, fresh mint leaves
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together first 2 ingredients; add butter, stirring until blended. Press mixture on bottom and up sides of a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Bake 10 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack (about 30 minutes).
- 2. Whisk together egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, and lemon juice. Pour into prepared crust.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack (about 1 hour). Cover and chill 4 hours.
- 4. Beat whipping cream at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form; dollop over chilled pie. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note