Thank you Zee! This was a simple, yummy dish that was consummed by all in about 1 hour. The mint was refreshing, the jalapeño gave a subtle kick, and lemon rounded out the flavor. We made it with Heritage Tomatoes and scooped it onto toasted Pitas. like i said it did not last long :-)
Zee's Eggplant Salad
Zee Aborashid, who grew up in Jordan, has fond memories of enjoying this salad with her family. It also makes a great appetizer for a party. Prep and cook time: about 25 minutes.
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 145
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Protein: 4.1g
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Carbohydrate: 24g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Sodium: 169mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 2 eggplants (2 lb. total)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced seeded fresh jalapeño chile
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup diced firm-ripe tomatoes
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 4 pita breads (6 in. wide), cut into triangles
- 1. Preheat oven to 500°. Pierce each eggplant in one place with a knife. Set in a rimmed pan and bake until very soft when pressed, 20 to 25 minutes. Slit eggplants open and let cool.
- 2. Scoop out flesh, finely chop, and put in a bowl; discard peels. Stir mint, green onion, lemon juice, olive oil, chile, and garlic into eggplant. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread mixture on a platter.
- 3. Scatter tomatoes and parsley over eggplant. Serve with pita bread.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads