When you don't have time to bake your own bread, combine olive oil and zaatar, then use on store-bought lavash or pocket bread. Here we sprinkle zaatar on top of homemade bread, then bake.
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- Calories: 176
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Protein: 4.5g
- Fat: 5.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrate: 27g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Sodium: 253mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 2 1/4 teaspoons (1 package) active dry yeast
- 4 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided, plus more for dunking
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- About 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup zaatar, plus more for dunking
- 1. Sprinkle yeast into the bowl of a stand mixer and pour 1 1/2 cups warm (110°) water on top. Let stand until yeast is softened, about 5 minutes. Add 3 tbsp. oil, the whole-wheat flour, 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, and the salt. Mix with a dough hook to blend, then beat on medium speed, gradually adding about 1/4 cup more all-purpose flour until dough is smooth, stretchy, and only slightly tacky, 10 to 12 minutes.
- 2. Let rise, covered, in a warm place until double, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 500° and set 2 large baking sheets in oven to heat.
- 3. Punch dough down, then divide in half, shape each into a smooth ball, and dust with flour. Roll out each ball onto a 12- by 14-in. sheet of baking parchment into a 12-in.-long oval. Prick dough with a fork at about 2-in. intervals. Brush dough with remaining 1 1/2 tbsp. oil, then sprinkle with 1/4 cup zaatar. Carefully lift parchment with dough to hot baking sheets.
- 4. Bake until breads are golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes, switching pan positions halfway through baking. Slide breads from parchment onto cooling racks. Serve breads warm or cool, with a bowl of olive oil seasoned generously with zaatar for dunking.
Buy zaatar at well-stocked grocery stores or at worldspice.com
Make ahead: Up to 1 day, wrapped airtight; reheat covered in foil.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per 2-oz. serving without dunk mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note