Yucatecan Rice Salad
Yucatecan cuisine combines Spanish, Mexican, and Caribbean flavors. In this spicy recipe, an authentic combination of turmeric, black beans, and olives accompanies the rice. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 5 Minutes
- Calories: 164
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 8.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 6.4g
- Carbohydrate: 20.9g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 430mg
- Calcium: 102mg
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup instant whole-grain brown rice (such as Minute)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup jalapeño-stuffed green olives, coarsely chopped (about 11 olives)
- 1/3 cup prechopped red onion
- 3 (0.5-ounce) slices reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers, cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- 1. Bring water and turmeric to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in rice; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Place rice in a wire mesh strainer; rinse rice with cold water, and drain well.
- 2. While rice cooks, combine beans and next 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the cooled rice; toss gently until blended. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
- Serve with: Tomato-Avocado Wedges
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note