I have made lots of different kinds of scones, and these are perhaps the very best--flaky, crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, flavorful as can be. I I did bake them an extra five minutes. Also cut the sugar to 2 tsp. and the onions to about 1/4 cup and would do the same thing when I make them again. I can also see adding grated cheese and paprika, or making a sweet scones by stirring in dried fruit or even chocolate chips (and leaving out the onions of course)! This is a perfect basic recipe for any kind of flavor variation.
These scones are terrific with chili, or you can split them in half lengthwise and serve with sloppy joe sauce.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 121
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 3.3g
- Carbohydrate: 18.3g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 273mg
- Calcium: 72mg
- 6.75 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2.375 ounces whole wheat flour (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 3/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1 large egg white
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 2. Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in onions. Combine yogurt and egg white, stirring with a whisk. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist (dough will be sticky).
- 3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 times with floured hands. Pat dough into an 8-inch circle on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cut dough into 12 wedges, cutting into but not through dough. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note