Loved this salad! I am a huge fan of yogurt with rice, thanks to a Turkish friend, and this was a wonderful take on the dish! Our kids ate second helpings and asked for it again the next day! It keeps well too! I followed basically as written, but added extra oil and fresh lemon juice. Next time I will add more apple! Loved the tart, sweet, crispness of the apple the best!
Notes: You can make this salad up to 1 day ahead; cover and chill.
Yield: Makes 8 side-dish servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 151
- Calories from fat: 7%
- Protein: 6.9g
- Fat: 1.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrate: 31g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Sodium: 204mg
- Cholesterol: 1.1mg
- 1 cup basmati or long-grain white rice
- 1 English cucumber (about 14 oz.)
- 1 zucchini (about 5 oz.)
- 1 Granny Smith apple (about 8 oz.)
- 1 cup chopped white or red onion, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon cracked or coarse-ground pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1. In a fine strainer, rinse rice well and drain. In a 2- to 3-quart pan over high heat, bring 3 cups water and the rice to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook, uncovered, until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until rice is tender to bite, about 10 minutes longer. Scoop into a large bowl and let cool, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, rinse cucumber, zucchini, and apple. Trim off and discard ends of cucumber and zucchini; cut vegetables into 1/2-inch cubes. Stem and core apple; cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Add cucumber, zucchini, apple, and onion to cool rice.
- 3. Pour any excess liquid off yogurt. In a bowl, mix yogurt, ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add to rice mixture and stir gently to coat.
- 4. Set a 6- to 8-inch frying pan over medium-high heat; when hot, add oil and chili flakes and stir just until chili begins to darken slightly, 15 to 30 seconds. Add pepper. Pour over rice mixture and stir gently to mix, adding more salt to taste. Spoon into a serving bowl and garnish with shredded carrots.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This