Yogurt-Marinated Lamb Kebabs With Lemon Butter
Photo: © Kana Okada
- 2 cups plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 pounds trimmed boneless leg of lamb, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure chile powder, such as ancho
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- 6 1-by-2-inch strips of lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons ghee or unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a large bowl, whisk 1 cup of the yogurt with the water. Add the lamb cubes, toss to coat and refrigerate overnight.
- Light a grill. Drain the lamb and pat dry with paper towels. In a large bowl, whisk the remaining 1 cup of yogurt with the chile powder, turmeric, garlic, cayenne and 1 teaspoon of salt. Add the lamb, toss to coat and let stand for 10 to 20 minutes.
- On each of 6 metal skewers, thread a piece of the lemon peel. Thread the lamb cubes onto the skewers and season with salt. In a small bowl, combine the ghee with the lemon juice.
- Grill the skewers over moderately high heat, turning, until starting to char all over, about 3 minutes. Continue to grill, turning and basting with the ghee and lemon juice, until medium-rare, about 4 minutes longer. Serve the lamb on or off the skewers.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note