I made the Yogurt-Marinated Chicken using both chicken tenders and the boneless chicken thighs. My son-in-law made his own version of the Beet Salad. I used Fage Greek Yogurt and used lemon juice instead of tamarind paste.
Yogurt-Marinated Chicken with Beet Salad
Tamarind lends the marinade a pleasant sweet-sour note. However, you can substitute 2 tablespoons lemon juice if tamarind paste isn't available.
More From Cooking Light
4 Hours, 40 Minutes
- Calories: 385
- Fat: 20.9g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 9.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 4.7g
- Protein: 37.6g
- Carbohydrate: 11.2g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 125mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 550mg
- Calcium: 69mg
- 3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 12 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 cups diced seeded tomato
- 1 cup thinly sliced peeled beet
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced peeled daikon radish (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup vertically sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1. Combine first 8 ingredients (through ginger) in a large bowl. Add chicken thighs; toss to coat. Cover and chill at least 4 hours.
- 2. Combine tomato and next 4 ingredients (through cilantro) in a medium bowl. Combine juice, olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Pour juice mixture over beet mixture, and toss to coat. Cover and chill at least 2 hours.
- 3. Heat a grill pan over high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Remove chicken from marinade, and discard marinade. Sprinkle chicken evenly with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add half of the chicken to pan; cook chicken 4 minutes on each side or until done. Repeat procedure with the remaining chicken. Serve with salad.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This