I made the Yogurt-Marinated Chicken using both chicken tenders and the boneless chicken thighs. My son-in-law made his own version of the Beet Salad. I used Fage Greek Yogurt and used lemon juice instead of tamarind paste.
Yogurt-Marinated Chicken with Beet Salad
Tamarind lends the marinade a pleasant sweet-sour note. However, you can substitute 2 tablespoons lemon juice if tamarind paste isn't available.
More From Cooking Light
4 Hours, 40 Minutes
- Calories: 385
- Fat: 20.9g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 9.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 4.7g
- Protein: 37.6g
- Carbohydrate: 11.2g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 125mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 550mg
- Calcium: 69mg
- 3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 12 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 cups diced seeded tomato
- 1 cup thinly sliced peeled beet
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced peeled daikon radish (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup vertically sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1. Combine first 8 ingredients (through ginger) in a large bowl. Add chicken thighs; toss to coat. Cover and chill at least 4 hours.
- 2. Combine tomato and next 4 ingredients (through cilantro) in a medium bowl. Combine juice, olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Pour juice mixture over beet mixture, and toss to coat. Cover and chill at least 2 hours.
- 3. Heat a grill pan over high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Remove chicken from marinade, and discard marinade. Sprinkle chicken evenly with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add half of the chicken to pan; cook chicken 4 minutes on each side or until done. Repeat procedure with the remaining chicken. Serve with salad.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note