Notes: Don't use a brand of yogurt made with gelatin (check the ingredient list on the carton) - it won't drain. Drain the yogurt at least 24 hours before using; the longer you drain it, the thicker and creamier the cheese will be but the less you will get (the volume of cheese also varies with brand of yogurt used). Use this nonfat cheese to make the Yogurt Cheese Torta with Pesto and the Cranberry Crown Cheesecake. Chill airtight up to 9 days from when you began draining it; occasionally drain off any whey that accumulates. Discard cheese if moldy or sour-smelling.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 9.4
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Protein: 1.3g
- Fat: 0.0g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Carbohydrate: 1g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Sodium: 7.9mg
- Cholesterol: 0.2mg
- 1 quart (2 lb.) plain nonfat yogurt (without gelatin; see notes)
- 1. Set a strainer or colander over a deep pan or bowl, supporting it so base of strainer is at least 2 inches above pan bottom. Line strainer with two layers of cheesecloth or a clean muslin or linen towel.
- 2. Scrape yogurt into cloth. Enclose strainer and pan airtight in plastic wrap.
- 3. Chill at least 24 hours or up to 4 days (see notes), pouring off liquid (the whey) as it accumulates.
- 4. Unwrap yogurt cheese and scrape from cloth.
- Nutritional analysis per tablespoon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note