Yellow Wax Beans with Toasted Almonds
This simple bean recipe makes a wonderful side dish for any occasion. You can substitute green beans for yellow wax beans if desired. Don't forget the toasted almonds -- they add a taste and texture that contrasts perfectly.
More From Real Simple
- Calcium: 74.78mg
- Calories: 204.7
- Calories from fat: 77%
- Carbohydrate: 9.51g
- Cholesterol: 10.03mg
- Fat: 17.67g
- Fiber: 4.35g
- Iron: 1.68mg
- Protein: 5.43mg
- Saturated fat: 3.76g
- Sodium: 194.65mg
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound yellow wax beans, ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup (about 3 ounces) whole blanched almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add 1 tablespoon of the salt and the wax beans, return to a boil, and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and plunge into a bowl of ice water. Drain again and set aside. Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the almonds and cook, stirring often, until they begin to turn golden but not brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and sprinkle with the remaining salt and the pepper. Place the beans in a large bowl, toss with the almonds, and serve.
Tip: You can use fresh green beans instead of yellow wax beans.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note