A wonderful dish, perfect for using up all the squash in my garden! I used 8 oz sausage as it was a main dish, sharp cheddar and monetary jack for the provolone, and panko for the breadcrumbs. I would add less panko next time, especially on the top- but maybe it was because I baked it in a large square dish instead of a casserole dish. Also the panko on top did not get browned and crunchy even though the dish was near the top of the oven so I broiled it for a few minutes. Everyone loved it though!
Yellow Squash Casserole
Here's our lightened rendition of a traditional yellow squash casserole; it's just as delicious just minus the guilt! Meat-and three casseroles are usually laden with mayo, cream, butter, cheese, or any combination of the four.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 85
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fat: 2.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 4.8g
- Carbohydrate: 10.3g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
- Iron: 0.7mg
- Sodium: 279mg
- Calcium: 91mg
- 8 cups sliced yellow squash (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 6 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage (about 2 links)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (1-ounce) slices day-old white bread
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) diced provolone cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed reduced-fat, reduced-sodium cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine squash and water in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; vent. Microwave at HIGH 6 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
- Remove casing from sausage. Cook sausage, onion, and garlic in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain.
- Place the bread in a food processor, and pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs form to measure 1 cup. Combine the squash, sausage mixture, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, sour cream, cheese, salt, pepper, and soup. Spoon squash mixture in a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray.
- Top with remaining 1/2 cup breadcrumbs. Spray breadcrumbs with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note