Yellow Split Pea & Chicken Stew with Baked Potato Sticks
Community Recipe from
- 2 tablespoon(s) Ol
- 4 piece(s) chicken thighs skinless
- 1 onion Chopped
- 2 clove(s) garlic finely chopped
- 2 limes
- 1 can(s) tomato puree
- 1/3 cup(s) yellow split pea
- 1 teaspoon(s) turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground saffron
- 1/2 Idaho potato peeled and cut into 2 inch sticks
- Kosher salt & pepper
- Heat half of the olive oil in a medium-sized pot on medium high heat. Season both sides of the chicken drumsticks and thighs with salt, pepper and turmeric. Once the olive oil starts to ripple, put the seasoned chicken in the pot to brown the meat on each side. If you have a small kitchen like mine, turn on the vent or open a nearby window to minimize smoke. Remove the chicken once golden brown and set aside (about 3 minutes on each side).
- In the same pot, add the chopped onion and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the remaining turmeric and a couple of pinches of salt to the onion. Stir and continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes. Add the zest and juice of one lime to the mix. Place the chicken back in the pot. Add the ground saffron, followed by the tomato puree and 1 cup of water. Stir to mix. Add the juice of the second lime and stir. Bring to a boil and add the yellow split pea. Lower the heat and simmer for 50 minutes, partly covering the pot (you only want to partly cover the pot to allow some of the liquid to evaporate to thicken the stew).
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Cover a cookie sheet with non-stick aluminum foil. Place the potato sticks on the cookie sheet and brush them with the remaining olive oil. Season them with salt and bake for 10 minutes. Flip the sticks and bake for another 10 minutes (or until the potatoes have a golden color).
- Add the potato sticks to the stew and mix in gently. Serve at room temperature.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by PersianDishNYC and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes