More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 350
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Protein: 9.5g
- Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Carbohydrate: 67g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Sodium: 246mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 3 stalks (about 12 in.) fresh lemon grass or 3 strips lemon peel (yellow part only; 1/2 by 4 in.)
- 12 thin slices (the size of a quarter) peeled fresh galangal or ginger
- 4 dried bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground dried turmeric
- 3 cans (14 oz. each) reduced-fat or regular coconut milk
- 4 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 5 1/2 cups jasmine or long-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. Trim and discard tough tops and root ends of lemon grass stalks. Remove and discard tough outer leaves. With the flat side of a knife, gently crush lemon grass and galangal. Wrap lemon grass, galangal, and bay leaves in a piece of cheesecloth.
- 2. In a 5- to 6-quart pan, mix turmeric with 1/4 cup water. Stir in coconut milk, broth, rice, salt, and lemon grass bundle. Bring to a boil, uncovered, over high heat; lower heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Cover pan and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender to bite, 10 to 15 minutes more. Remove and discard lemon grass bundle.
- 3. Pour rice in a mound on a platter. Or, if desired, shape rice by spooning into a large cone-shaped basket or mold and inverting onto platter.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables