Yellow-Green Split Pea Soup
Using yellow and green split peas makes a stunning presentation, but the soup is just as tasty with only one color pea. Pick your favorite color and use 1 1/2 cups peas; then there's no need to divide the ingredients and cook them in separate pans. You'll need a Dutch oven when cooking all of the ingredients together to make a single-colored soup.
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 15 Minutes
- Calories: 267
- Fat: 5.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 15.4g
- Carbohydrate: 39.7g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
- Iron: 2.0mg
- Sodium: 609mg
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Calcium: 28mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion (about 2 medium)
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot (about 1 large)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup yellow split peas
- 3 cups water, divided
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 3/4 cup green split peas
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- Chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and carrot; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and garlic; sauté 1 minute.
- Remove half of onion mixture to another large saucepan. Add yellow peas to 1 pan; add 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 cups water, 1 1/2 cups broth, and 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce.
- Add green peas, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, remaining 1 1/2 cups water, remaining 1 1/2 cups broth, and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce to onion mixture in second pan. Bring both pans to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or just until peas are tender. Stir 1/8 teaspoon pepper into each pan. Cool slightly.
- Pour yellow pea soup into blender; process on low speed until smooth. Return to pan. Repeat procedure with green pea soup, returning to other pan. Carefully pour about 2/3 cup each of yellow pea soup and green pea soup into individual bowls at the same time, so that soup pours evenly from each side, creating 2 colors in each bowl.
- Combine sour cream and buttermilk; stir well with a whisk. Drizzle sour cream mixture over each serving. Garnish with chopped chives, if desired. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews