Yellow-Green Split Pea Soup
Using yellow and green split peas makes a stunning presentation, but the soup is just as tasty with only one color pea. Pick your favorite color and use 1 1/2 cups peas; then there's no need to divide the ingredients and cook them in separate pans. You'll need a Dutch oven when cooking all of the ingredients together to make a single-colored soup.
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 15 Minutes
- Calories: 267
- Fat: 5.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 15.4g
- Carbohydrate: 39.7g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
- Iron: 2.0mg
- Sodium: 609mg
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Calcium: 28mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion (about 2 medium)
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot (about 1 large)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup yellow split peas
- 3 cups water, divided
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 3/4 cup green split peas
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- Chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and carrot; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and garlic; sauté 1 minute.
- Remove half of onion mixture to another large saucepan. Add yellow peas to 1 pan; add 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 cups water, 1 1/2 cups broth, and 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce.
- Add green peas, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, remaining 1 1/2 cups water, remaining 1 1/2 cups broth, and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce to onion mixture in second pan. Bring both pans to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or just until peas are tender. Stir 1/8 teaspoon pepper into each pan. Cool slightly.
- Pour yellow pea soup into blender; process on low speed until smooth. Return to pan. Repeat procedure with green pea soup, returning to other pan. Carefully pour about 2/3 cup each of yellow pea soup and green pea soup into individual bowls at the same time, so that soup pours evenly from each side, creating 2 colors in each bowl.
- Combine sour cream and buttermilk; stir well with a whisk. Drizzle sour cream mixture over each serving. Garnish with chopped chives, if desired. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note