this cake was excellent. the taste is wonderful and the texture fine and moist.
Yellow Butter Cake with Vanilla Meringue Frosting
You'll find potato starch on the baking aisle at most of your local supermarkets and health-food stores. Also known as potato flour, it helps ensure that this yellow butter cake will have a fine crumb and moist texture. This recipe can easily be adapted for cupcakes. Use two tablespoons vanilla meringue frosting to top each one.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 312
- Calories from fat: 34%
- Fat: 11.8g
- Saturated fat: 7.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 4.1g
- Carbohydrate: 46.8g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Cholesterol: 69mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 298mg
- Calcium: 60mg
- Cooking spray
- 6.75 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 ounces potato starch (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 10 tablespoon butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Dash of salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. To prepare cake, line bottoms of 2 (9-inch) cake pans with parchment paper; coat pans lightly with cooking spray. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Weigh or lightly spoon potato starch into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, potato starch, baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt, stirring well with a whisk.
- 3. Place 1 3/4 cups sugar and 10 tablespoons butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine milk and half-and-half. Add flour mixture and milk mixture alternately to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat just until combined. Fold in bourbon and 1 tablespoon vanilla. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 28 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pans 25 minutes on wire rack; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks.
- 4. To prepare frosting, combine 1 cup sugar and 1/4 water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook 3 minutes, without stirring, or until candy thermometer registers 250°. Combine egg whites, cream of tartar, and dash of salt in a large bowl. Using clean, dry beaters, beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Pour hot sugar syrup in a thin stream over egg white mixture, beating at high speed until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low; continue beating until egg white mixture cools (about 12 minutes). Beat 1/4 cup butter until light and fluffy; stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Fold in 1 cup egg white mixture. Fold butter mixture into remaining egg white mixture, stirring until smooth.
- 5. Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Buttery Yellow Cupcakes with Chocolate Meringue Frosting: Lightly coat 24 muffin cups with cooking spray. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffins cups; bake at 350° for 18 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
- Cut frosting recipe in half, using 3 egg whites and omitting butter and vanilla. Fold 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa into cooled meringue mixture, and top each cupcake with about 2 tablespoons frosting. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa evenly over cupcakes, if desired. Yield: 24 servings (serving size: 1 cupcake).
- CALORIES 177 (31% from fat); FAT 6.1g (sat 3.6g, mono 1.7g, poly 0.3g); PROTEIN 2.6g; CARB 27.8g; FIBER 0.5g; CHOL 41mg; IRON 0.7mg; SODIUM 148mg; CALC 40mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note