Yanka's Ukrainian Meatball-Spinach Soup
An old family recipe, this spinach soup comes from the Ukraine, and Mann recommends that you serve it with warm, crusty French bread.
Yield: Makes 2 1/2 quarts; 4 to 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 594
- Calories from fat: 39%
- Protein: 41g
- Fat: 26g
- Saturated fat: 10g
- Carbohydrate: 47g
- Fiber: 7.5g
- Sodium: 583mg
- Cholesterol: 191mg
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 pound ground lean beef or ground lean turkey (or 1/2 of each)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- About 1/4 teaspoon salt
- About 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- About 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 quarts fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 3 quarts spinach leaves (about 1 lb.), rinsed and drained
- 1. In a bowl, beat 1 egg to blend. Add rice, beef, onion, lemon peel, lemon juice, oregano, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; mix well.
- 2. Put flour on a rimmed plate. Shape meat mixture into 1-inch balls, rolling each in flour as formed; shake off excess. Set balls slightly apart on a sheet of waxed paper.
- 3. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring broth to a boil. Add meatballs, reduce heat, and simmer just until no longer pink in the center (cut to test), about 15 minutes.
- 4. Add spinach leaves and stir gently until wilted, about 5 minutes. In a small bowl, beat with a fork remaining egg to blend. Pour into soup, stirring. Ladle soup into wide bowls. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This