- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 pound ground lean beef or ground lean turkey (or 1/2 of each)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- About 1/4 teaspoon salt
- About 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- About 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 quarts fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 3 quarts spinach leaves (about 1 lb.), rinsed and drained
- calories 594
- caloriesfromfat 39 %
- protein 41 g
- fat 26 g
- satfat 10 g
- carbohydrate 47 g
- fiber 7.5 g
- sodium 583 mg
- cholesterol 191 mg
How to Make It
In a bowl, beat 1 egg to blend. Add rice, beef, onion, lemon peel, lemon juice, oregano, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; mix well.
Put flour on a rimmed plate. Shape meat mixture into 1-inch balls, rolling each in flour as formed; shake off excess. Set balls slightly apart on a sheet of waxed paper.
In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring broth to a boil. Add meatballs, reduce heat, and simmer just until no longer pink in the center (cut to test), about 15 minutes.
Add spinach leaves and stir gently until wilted, about 5 minutes. In a small bowl, beat with a fork remaining egg to blend. Pour into soup, stirring. Ladle soup into wide bowls. Add salt and pepper to taste.