This was a huge hit at our house. I substituted the sake with mirin (as that's what I had). My 11 year old daughter did most of it. I just chopped the chicken and hubby did the grilling. Served it with steamed rice with chopped scallions. Will serve it with ginger fried rice next time.
Photo: Anna Williams; Styling: Pam Morris
Serve with rice or rice noodles and steamed baby bok choy.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3 skewers)
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 30 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 365
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Protein: 36.2g
- Carbohydrate: 20.6g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 94mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 556mg
- Calcium: 51mg
- 1 cup sake
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 (1-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 36 (3/4-inch) cubes
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 cilantro sprigs
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 9 green onions (white and light green parts only), cut into 36 (2-inch) pieces
- Cooking spray
- 1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes. Remove ginger with a slotted spoon, and place in a medium bowl. Add 2 tablespoons soy sauce mixture, pepper, chicken, garlic, and cilantro to ginger in bowl; toss well. Cover and chill 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- 3. Bring remaining soy sauce mixture to a boil; cook 10 minutes or until reduced to 1/4 cup. Remove from heat; slowly add vinegar and oil, stirring with a whisk. Divide soy sauce mixture into 2 equal portions (about 1/4 cup each); set aside.
- 4. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Thread 3 chicken pieces and 3 green onion pieces alternately onto each of 12 (8-inch) skewers. Place the skewers on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Cover and grill for 8 minutes or until done, turning after 4 minutes and basting occasionally with 1/4 cup reserved soy sauce mixture.
- 5. Place skewers on a serving platter; serve with remaining 1/4 cup soy sauce mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes