- 1 cup sake
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 (1-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 36 (3/4-inch) cubes
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 cilantro sprigs
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 9 green onions (white and light green parts only), cut into 36 (2-inch) pieces
- Cooking spray
- calories 365
- fat 7.6 g
- satfat 1.7 g
- monofat 2.8 g
- polyfat 2.3 g
- protein 36.2 g
- carbohydrate 20.6 g
- fiber 1.1 g
- cholesterol 94 mg
- iron 2 mg
- sodium 556 mg
- calcium 51 mg
How to Make It
Combine first 4 ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes. Remove ginger with a slotted spoon, and place in a medium bowl. Add 2 tablespoons soy sauce mixture, pepper, chicken, garlic, and cilantro to ginger in bowl; toss well. Cover and chill 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Bring remaining soy sauce mixture to a boil; cook 10 minutes or until reduced to 1/4 cup. Remove from heat; slowly add vinegar and oil, stirring with a whisk. Divide soy sauce mixture into 2 equal portions (about 1/4 cup each); set aside.
Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Thread 3 chicken pieces and 3 green onion pieces alternately onto each of 12 (8-inch) skewers. Place the skewers on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Cover and grill for 8 minutes or until done, turning after 4 minutes and basting occasionally with 1/4 cup reserved soy sauce mixture.
Place skewers on a serving platter; serve with remaining 1/4 cup soy sauce mixture.