The World's Greatest Grilled Cheese
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 8 sourdough bread slices
- 6 (3/4-ounce) mozzarella cheese slices
- 6 (3/4-ounce) Cheddar cheese slices
- 1. Spread mayonnaise evenly on 1 side of each sourdough bread slice.
- 2. Place 4 bread slices, mayonnaise sides down, on wax paper, and layer each with 1 1/2 mozzarella cheese slices and 1 1/2 Cheddar cheese slices. Top with remaining bread slices, mayonnaise sides up.
- 3. Cook sandwiches, in batches, on a hot griddle or in a nonstick skillet over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Note: Sandwiches can be cooked in a preheated panini press 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sweet-and-Spicy Grilled Cheese: Substitute 8 ounces Havarti cheese slices for mozzarella and Cheddar. Layer cheese as directed; spread cheese evenly with 1/2 cup red pepper jelly. Proceed as directed.
- Mexi-Melt Grilled Cheese: Substitute 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese with peppers slices for mozzarella and Cheddar. Layer cheese as directed; spread cheese evenly with 1/2 cup refried beans, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro. Proceed as directed.
- Apple-Cheddar Grilled Cheese: Place 1/2 cup chopped walnuts in a single layer in a shallow pan. Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring occasionally. Substitute 4 ounces Cheddar slices for mozzarella. Layer cheese as directed; top evenly with 1 thinly sliced Gala apple and toasted walnuts. Sprinkle with pepper to taste. Proceed as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches